Saturday, May 25, 2019

FINALLY HOME!!!

So I was finally released from the hospital on Thursday. Being in the hospital for 6 days was the most taxing experience of my life.

The surgery itself went very well. The DR (which is the most amazing doctor on earth) did an amazing job. She really focused on my problem areas without removing an excessive amount of skin. The wounds are left open, meant to heal from the inside out. Once fully healed, it will be scarred skin, but the HS will not come back into those areas any longer!!!!!!!!

The areas I had done were the biggest problem areas for me....that being the groin, thigh, and buttocks area. As you can imagine these areas are sensitive AF, and not easy to deal with post-op for a variety of reasons (think pee/poop).

Friday and Saturday were ok. Painful as fuck, but I was managing with the help of Norco (which eventually got bumped up to Percocet because......well duh).

Sunday was by far the WORST day of my life. When I went to use the restroom, I sat down on the toilet as best I could and felt a rip. The next thing I knew there was blood EVERYWHERE. I mean GUSHING EVERYWHERE. I panicked and started bawling, asking for the nurse. When the nurse came and saw the fucking bloodbath she panicked too. We got me onto the bed and she was able to apply pressure to keep the bleeding from continuing. Luckily my surgeon wasn't too far and she rushed over to assess the issue. Turns out it was an arterial bleed from a main artery and I was bleeding out quickly. My Dr legit SEWED ME SHUT ON THE SPOT. No anesthesia. No pain meds. No time to think.....obviously because this main artery was just gushing blood everywhere. Not sure how I didn't pass out. Not sure how I managed to lay there and not scream as she sewed me back together. But yeah......that happened.

The rest of the week was pretty much smooth sailing from there. I had a wound vac applied which is amazing. A wound vac helps you heal 5 times faster. One of my wounds is beyond deep, making me a perfect candidate for the vac.

Now you have to understand, these wounds aren't small or superficial. They are very deep. The skin was cut and removed down to the fat. So basically picture someone taking an ice cream scooper and scooping out chunks of my skin. Not sure if that is TMI....but this whole blog is TMI so fuck it haha

I finally got released to go home which has been AMAZING. There is nothing like having your own bed.....your own stuff....my dogs which I missed like crazy. I have my very own wound vac here at home now which means I'll be healing in no time!!! I'm under the care of home health. They come to change wound dressings and check on my wound vac. My family has also learned how to change out my dressings and they themselves have been helping me too!! So not only are my mom and sister attorneys, but they are nurses too lol!!

I want to take a quick second to give so many thanks to my family.

My mom. Who slept in the most uncomfortable chair every night with me. Woke up at all hours to help me. Held me when I cried. Brought me Starbucks every single morning. Advocated for me when I was too weak to do it for myself. She made me laugh. Provided support. She is my EVERYTHING. Without her I don't know what I would have done.

My sister. Kathy is my rock. She has helped bandage me up when I couldn't reach certain areas before my surgery. She came every single day after work......and continues to hold down the office while my mom and I have been gone. She always made sure to bring me the best snacks!!! Since being home she has been my on call 24/7 nurse.....going as far as to set alarms to wake up in the middle of the night to make sure I take my pain meds and don't lapse. She even helped the Nurse apply my wound vac today!!! I am proud of the kind and caring woman Kathy is....and so lucky to have her as my sister.

My dad. Who drove from Huntington Beach every single day. Who brought me Portos (which I love) daily....making sure we had all the delish goodies. He has helped me financially with this entire process and has provided lots of love and laughs and endless support.

And lastly, to my friends and family. All of you help keep me strong. Each one of you.....with your texts, messages, visits, gifts, flowers, laughs. All of it. Without such a strong and loving support system, there is no way I would be as strong as I am....tackling this condition head on.

I'll be updating about my recovery. The dr says I'm looking at 2-3 months of recovery time. Strength, love, and endless support will keep me battling!! Until next time.

"Life is tough, my darling....but so are you" -Stephanie Bennett-Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment